MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Do hosting providers have access to our files?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do hosting providers have access to our files?
I recently began hosting a website with a well-known provider, for which I paid a one-year hosting fee. I had an issue one day and phoned cust.-care. What surprised me was that, while counselling me on a solution, the guy began naming my files, which are even invisible to ftp!!!

Even though I tried to hide my surprise, I am nonetheless taken aback. I had also requested him to "check if my script is within the file" while we were conversing.

Is it typical for our files to be viewed by hosting providers? Are there alternatives?

Thanks.
(06-28-2021, 11:44 AM)trish89_ Wrote: I recently began hosting a website with a well-known provider, for which I paid a one-year hosting fee. I had an issue one day and phoned cust.-care. What surprised me was that, while counselling me on a solution, the guy began naming my files, which are even invisible to ftp!!!

Even though I tried to hide my surprise, I am nonetheless taken aback. I had also requested him to "check if my script is within the file" while we were conversing.

Is it typical for our files to be viewed by hosting providers? Are there alternatives?

Thanks.

Yes, they do! But unless you are hosting something illegal or incriminating I would not be worried. I would also be concerned about access to your data if you have an e-commerce shop and your customers’ info is important to you.
The fact that they have access to everything that you host does not mean they will use this info or access it on purpose. They usually require access to do the troubleshooting and fix issues, to check the settings, to see the number of inodes (files) you have, to manage the traffic. Unless you are abusing the hoster they will work for your benefit and try to help you.
They do have access to everything that is on the servers so if you are worried, please do refer to the Privacy Policy. It’s a good idea to read through the Terms and Conditions as well and preferably before you sign up to any web hosting.