MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Install mysql on vps? - Printable Version
Web Hosting Ask
Install mysql on vps? - Printable Version

+- Web Hosting Ask (https://www.webhostingask.com)
+-- Forum: Web Hosting Main Forums (https://www.webhostingask.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: VPS Hosting
 (https://www.webhostingask.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Install mysql on vps? (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Install mysql on vps? - hyporossi - 10-02-2021

I require your assistance. I'm going to rent a VPS with cpanel soon. I'm going to get 8GB of RAM, a 4core CPU, and a 120GB SSD in New York. I'll set up a slew of websites to handle the traffic. I'll start with at least $1,000 and work my way up to $100,000 per month.

I have another virtual private server that I use to send marketing emails. It has 2GB of RAM, but I could increase it to 4GB if I needed to install mysql separately from my cpanel vps to handle the traffic. Do I need to install a mysql database on the email server I use to send emails in order to get database updates for the open and clicks tracker?

The issue is that if the server goes down, I won't be able to get the database updated when someone opens and clicks on one of my emails. I could use my cpanel vps to update the database while running a lot of traffic on my websites, but this can cause a lot of stress on the server, causing it to go offline, and thus the database will not be updated.

Do you think it's best if I get a Web hosting that already has mysql so I can use it to keep the emails opens and clicks tracker updated on a database separate from my two servers?

What do you think is the best thing I could do?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Install mysql on vps? - theodoretore - 10-28-2021

Forgive me as I don't have knowledge of your situation. But, wouldn't it make more sense to consolidate everything into a single server with higher resources? Yes, it would cost more but could scale a single server to your needs rather than multiple. Or operate your database and website on a larger server and keep a small VPS solely for emails. Although I still recommend to everyone to simply use a mail service.

RE: Install mysql on vps? - Enzoengine690 - 11-04-2021

You raised some important questions here, such as whether it is absolutely necessary for your email tracking software, which connects to a MySQL server, to report "opened emails" or other details.

It makes sense to rent a less expensive vps to host your database server and another vps to host your email server.